Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ovarian Cancer, My Health, My Kids

I’m off topic tonight. As I have mentioned before, I am a 2 year cancer survivor. I had the Big “O”. The one they call the silent killer…Ovarian Cancer. My cancer was found during a routine visit to my OB/GYN. Within weeks I had surgery and then went thru 6 months of chemo. For those who have been there – not fun. Thankfully, I am now on the other side of it all – in remission – a survivor. I bring this up not to go into my rant about cancer but for two reasons. One, if you are a woman…never never never skip your yearly exam. No excuses…It saved my life.

My cancer propelled me into a different mind-set about family, faith, health, and obviously, food. Don’t get me wrong, I love to eat! I love food! I just want to be aware of what I am puting into my body and what I am eating. I don’t make it complicated and I don’t fret about what I eat. I just try to be proactive about my health and the health of my family and I try to watch what we put into our bodies.

The second reason I am a little off-topic tonight is that as I was putting my kids to bed I took a moment and just listened to my son explaining something he did at school today. We had our typical hustle and bustle night of dinner, Idol and getting to bed. There was the normal impatience that goes along with parenting. But I stopped, took a breath and listened. Sometimes I forget that we need to do this every day. Take a moment to enjoy your children, your spouse, your loved one. Really take the time to pay attention to what they have to say. Be interested. Listen intently. I mean really listen. Just a few precious moments… it sets the tone for today and builds them up for tomorrow.

Psalm 127:3 Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment