Monday, January 19, 2009

Tortilla Soup


On a nice cold day (or any day for that matter) I like to enjoy a great bowl of healthy tortilla soup. Here is my recipe:

4 Cups Organic Free Range Chicken Broth (I use Pacific Brand)
2 Cups Water
1 15 oz. Can Tomato Sauce - All Natural
1 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes- All Natural
½ Onion, Chopped
1 Zucchini, Chopped
1 Cup Chopped Carrots
1 Green Pepper, Chopped
1 Avocado, Cored, Peeled and Sliced
1 4oz Can Diced Green Chilies
1 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Paprika
½ tsp. Turmeric
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips, Crushed
2 % Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Or Mexican Blend) To Garnish

Put all ingredients except cheese and avocado in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked tender. Add sliced avocado. Cook for additional 5 minutes. Pour soup into bowls. Top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Makes 6 Servings.

**The picture above is not mine but I thought it sure looked good!**

2 comments:

  1. Yum - sounds wonderful! I may have to make this soup for the weekend since we are expecting some snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm definitely going to make this soon! I just love avocado in soup. I may try it with veggie broth instead.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete