Sunday, February 21, 2010

Homemade Potato Chips

On my quest to make almost all things from scratch (not an easy quest I assure you) I have decided to try my hand at homemade potato chips. I have made several attempts and I think this one is my favorite recipe. My kids love these! A few tips...only cook one baking sheet at a time, don't make the potato slices too thin or they will burn, turn often so they cook evenly on both sides.

The funny part is that when I ate a store bought chip the other day they suddenly taste manufactured and overly processed. I think that is something you will find if you take on the task of trying to cook almost all of your own food and to buy very little store packaged, processed food. The things you thought tasted so good before don't compare to when you make them yourself - from scratch. It's amazing how good "real" food tastes!! Here is the recipe:

3 medium sized gold potatoes
3 TLB olive oil
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp dried minced onion flakes
Sprinkle sea salt

Preheat oven to 425. In a small bowl mix olive oil, garlic powder and onion flakes. Sprinkle with sea salt. Wash and dry potatoes. Cut potatos into thin slices – each potato should yield appx. 12 slices. Use a brush and lightly brush each potato slice with the olive oil mixture on both sides. Spread evenly onto baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes turning often. Makes appx. 3 dozen chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment