Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Healthy Food Tip of the Day

Don't eat food unless it can perish - go bad - on it's own
in a short period of time.  
(Words form Michael Pollan - The Omnivore's Dilemma)

What foods go bad?  Dairy, Meat, Fruits and Vegetables, Whole Grain Bread, etc.

I made some blueberry muffins from scratch last week that were very healthy (for muffins).  I used whole wheat flour, very little sugar, etc.  Well the kids didn't them and I really only wanted one so they went bad - very quickly.  I was a little upset that I had not thought to freeze them ahead of time but on the other hand was happy that they were moldy only after one week because that's what real food does - it goes bad! 

If your food can sit on a shelf for days, months, even years- it is probably not "real" food.

No comments:

Post a Comment