Monday, March 1, 2010

Steel Cut Oats

I remember a few years ago when Dr. Oz was still just a guest on the Oprah Show that he recommended eating Steel Cut Oats for breakfast.  So I ran out and bought some for myself but after I realized that I was going to have to cook them - and they take at least 20 minutes - and then add the flavoring myself - I thought it was too much work.  So I opted for the prepackaged oatmeal (from Kashi) which is still a great healthy choice and very convenient.

Recently I decided to try my hand at preparing  Steel Cuts Oats again and boy am I glad I took the time.  They are filling and delicious and with less processing they maintain their flavor and texture.  Steel Cut Oats are good for you because they are rich in whole grains, are high in B-vitamins, calcium, protein and fiber while low in salt and unsaturated fat. 

To flavor them I add a little bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, a few walnuts and blueberries.

4 comments:

  1. I eat Steel Cut Oats for breakfast every morning. I make a large batch in the evening when I have more time and then store it in at plastic container in the fridge. In the morning I just spoon out what I want in my bowl and microwave it for about 30 seconds. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea. I usually make enough for 2 days but it would be a time saver to make a batch to last for several days! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook mine in the crockpot at night, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely try that. I have been looking for new ways to use that crock pot!

    ReplyDelete