Tuesday, May 18, 2010

3 Easy Steps to Better Health

The focus of my blog has always been..."when did food stop being food?"  I still get amazed walking down the aisles of the grocery store at the abundance of packaged, processed, salted, boxed and canned things on the shelves that we call food.  If there is a list of ingredients a mile long...undecipherable names of preservatives and chemicals in the label - can we really call it food?  What happened to  food that we can recognize?

I honestly don't believe in any kind of "diet".  I think healthy living is a lifestyle choice.  Believe me, living in Texas in the summer is not the place I really want to go for a run but exercise is one of the most important ways to maintain good health so heat or no heat - I run.  SO what can we do to get on our way to living and most importantly eating healthy?  I say start with a few minor changes.  I'll do more descriptive blog posts on each topic but I think I can break it down into a few easy steps:

1.    Get rid of any products in your kitchen that contain high fructose corn syrup.
I am a big fan of Dr. Oz and he even goes as far as to say to get rid of any products that contain any kind of corn syrup or nay syrups at all)
2.    Get rid of all the products in your house that contain partially hydrogenated oils or any kids of hydrogenated oils.
3.    When you shop at the grocery store do almost all of your shopping around the perimeter of the store.  The perimeter of the store contains the fresh fruits and vegetables, the fresh meats, fresh dairy and more.  When you start going up and down the aisles that’s where you find all the packaged and processed foods.

I think if you start to foces on these 3 steps you will be on the right track of a newer, healthier lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment