Sunday, January 25, 2009

How to Make a Gourmet Salad in 5 Minutes


When it comes to salad I am on the lazy side. I am usually in a hurry but still want a nice salad with dinner. I usually start with a bagged salad. Make sure you wash and drain it well. I like Dole Tender Garden, 7 Lettuces Blend, or Classsic Romaine. I even mix bags together for more variety. You can use any kind you prefer but try to make sure it has some of the darker greens mixed in like spinach or endive. The more color in the bag the better.

To spruce it up I add about ½ cup of craisins, ½ cup sliced almonds, and ½ cup chopped carrots(I use the baby carrots that have already been peeled). If you have more time add some chopped onion and green pepper as well. To really make it gourmet add 1/2 of a chopped Granny Smith Apple with the peel on.

To keep your salad healthy stay away from high fat, creamy dressings. My favorite salad dressing is Annie’s Naturals Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette. Stick to the recommended serving – measure it out if need be. If you already have a favorite dressing make sure to read the list of ingredients. Many salad dressings contain high fructose corn syrup and lots of calories and fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment