Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why Blueberries are So Good For You


I love blueberries. Even if I didn’t I would try to eat them everyday just because they are so good for you. Blueberries have made “Super Food” status and I encourage you to add them to your diet every day. I am still shocked every time I buy a pint because they are expensive but they are one food that the benefits are worth the expense. I don’t do anything fancy with them. I wash them and put them in my cereal or oatmeal every day. I also snack on them. I love to mix them with craisins and sliced almonds for a great afternoon snack. You can also add them to your smoothies. Here are several reasons blueberries are so good for you:

Blueberries are low in calories, high in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins C and E. Eating blueberries may help fight cancer, diabetes, reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease and lower bad cholesterol levels.

Consumption of blueberries may also improve eyesight, sharpen memory and help prevent Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

A recent study at Tufts University analyzed more than 50 fruits and vegetables for their antibiotic capabilities and blueberries came out on top, having the highest capacity to destroy free radicals, molecules that cause aging, tissue damage and disease.

With all this goodness, blueberries are considered a superfood, helping to lower cholesterol, and deliver Vitamin C, potassium, folate and fiber to the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment