Monday, April 19, 2010

The Perfect Afternoon Snack

I think having a healthy snack between lunch and dinner is OK.  It keeps your metabolism revved up and helps you to not get too hungry at meal time and over eat.  I think one of the best healthy snacks is a  smoothie.  Now I say this with caution - Store bought smoothies can be loaded with fat and calories, especially if they are made with full-fat yogurt or ice cream.  To ensure it's All Good...make your own.

You don't need any special equipment.  I love to use my Magic Bullet because you can make individual servings.  But you don't have to go out and purchase anything new...a regular blender works just as well.

Most of the time I don't even measure the ingredients.  I just throw in a banana, several different kinds of frozen fruit, light vanilla soy milk, a pinch of cinnamon, and a splash of orange juice.  Here is the recipe I used today to satisfy a little chocolate craving:

1 Banana
5-6 Frozen Strawberries
1 Cup Light Vanilla Soy Milk
10-12 Organic Dark Chocolate Chips
Dash of Cinnamon

Add all ingredients to a blender and fire it up!

Added Heath Benefits: Antioxidants from the chocolate, fiber from the fruit,  protein and isoflavones (cancer fighters) from the soy milk.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! We drink smoothies almost daily for breakfast. We use 4 oz of Acai juice, which has tons of antioxidants and acts as a natural sweetener. Your recipe here sounds really good; we'll have to try it out now. Thanks for sharing it!!!

    ReplyDelete