Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Good Health Habits

There is so much mixed information about what foods to eat and what foods to avoid.  When I start to get overwhelmed I just try to remember…food should be food.  If there is a list of ingredients on the package that you cannot pronounce and that your grandmother would not recognize...it's probably not real food. 
Here are some rules I try to follow to maintain good health:

1. Don’t eat too much fat:  I think for the most part we know what foods are high in fat.  Anything fried…no good!  Foods loaded with heavy sauces, creams, and butter should be avoided.  A salad is great for lunch until it is loaded with bacon, cheese and high fat dressing.  A cup of coffee is fine until it is topped with chocolate, whipped cream, and sugar. 

2.  Limit your animal fats: I try to have several days a week where I do not consume any meat.  I still may enjoy low-fat dairy products but I opt for a salad for lunch and pasta with vegetables and marinara sauce for dinner.


3. Avoid foods with hydrogenated oils (margarine, and vegetable shortenings):  Hydrogenated oils hide in many unsuspecting foods such as flour tortillas, and boxed muffin mixes.  Take the time to read the ingredients to make sure you know what you are getting.

4. Limit Alcohol: Even a modest amount of alcohol is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.

5.  Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables:  I keep grapes washed and ready to eat, carrots sticks readily available in the refrigerator, clementines in a bowl on the counter, etc. I do this so that when I feel like a snack I have lots of healthy choices around me so I am not tempted to make a not so healthy choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment