1. Substitute low fat or nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream in recipes.
2. Use chicken or vegetable broth instead of oil to saute meats and vegetables ( I prefer 100%organic free range chicken broth).
3. Cut 2 TBL of butter from the recipe when making mac-n-cheese.
4. When making meatballs, meatloaf, or burgers go half-and-half wit the ground beef and ground turkey (my version - go 100% extra lean ground turkey on any recipe that includes meat)
5. When preparing rice or any packaged meal that requires butter - use broth instead.
6. Use tuna packed in water, not oil.
A few more of my own tips:
- If buying canned fruit make sure it is in it's own natural juices or light syrup - not heavy syrup.
- When following recipes that call for a lot of oil - cut some of it back and substitute with water.
- If a recipe calls for heavy cream - cut the amount in half and substitute low fat milk for the remainder.