Friday, March 12, 2010

What's Good for the Body and the Soul

I know that most of my postings are about natural foods and healthy living.  But I think that what we put into our  minds is as important as what we put into our bodies.  Last year I read a life changing book, same kind of different as me - a true story that happened right here in our great state of Texas about how just reaching out to help one person can change the lives of so many.

This year the real life duo of  Ron Hall and Denver Moore wrote another book together that shares stories of hope and healing.  It is an intimate follow-up to same kind and shares true stories about faith and friendship, healing, family relationships and most importantly how reaching out to others with acts of kindness can change the world.

The stories in this book are truly inspiring.  They are encouraging to me and have inspired me to find out what organizations in our community are available to help the homeless and how I can help, to pass information on  to our school to raise money for My Friends House, a safe home for children, and to encourage my children to raise money on their own to help those affected by the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile.

It is not too often that we can be so inspired of true life acts of kindness.  One of my favorite lines in the book is when Denver says:

If all the Christians got outta the pews on Sundays and into the streets, we'd shut the city down.
We'd shut down hunger.
We'd shut down loneliness.
We'd shut down the notion that there is any such of a thing as a person that don't deserve a kind word and a second chance. 


How true these words are for any religion, any faith, any person.  I encourage you to seek out this little book that shares such a huge message.


http://www.cityhouse.org/my_friends_house.html
http://www.samekindofdifferentasme.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment